For authors, publishers, self-publishers and self-publishers -
simply for all who want to make beautiful books
We'll guide you step by step through the entire process - whether you're a beginner or a pro, publishing or print-only - everyone gets their money's worth! Just tell us your category and we'll prepare everything for you. You don't need any previous knowledge.
Print only or publication? Both is possible!
- Publishing: You decide if you want to publish your book in bookstores and online stores and earn from every sale.
- New Print-only: Print your book for you and your friends without publishing it.
- Tips: At each step towards publishing or book printing, you'll get important tips on what to look out for.
- Suggestions on equipment: For each genre, the tredition project editor recommends which material (type of paper, type of binding, cover finish) is most common in order to optimise the price-performance ratio for your project.
- Only here Four book types at once: Create your book in softcover, hardcover, e-book, and large-print editions in one go. That way, you'll reach the most readers.
- Market share: We show you the market shares of the book types in your genre and what potential you might lose if you forego the hardcover, for example.
- New Large print: If you want, you can automatically create a large font output for people with visual impairment. The font size should then usually be between 15 and 19 points. Use the tredition text designer and font size and type will be optimized automatically!
- Different formats: A softcover is usually smaller than the hardcover or large print edition. We already set the appropriate formats for the different book types. Use our tredition Designer and your inner part and cover will be adjusted automatically.
- Only here Unlimited format selectionChoose from worldwide standard formats, e.g. DIN A5, or use a completely individual format and determine width and height yourself.
- Title Check: Is your title unique enough or is it already in use? You can check this directly when you enter it.
tredition Text Designer
Book typesetting has never been so easy! If you're having trouble getting your text into the right book format or are unsure how the first book pages should be laid out, then try our tredition Text Designer. You'll find it at step 2 in the project editor.
New book start
This feature in tredition Designer makes it easy to get started and is unique in this design. Thousands of authors have contributed to the development with their questions and suggestions or ideas for improvement compared to common other programs.
- Imprint Generator: Create a correct imprint in a few clicks - without prior knowledge.
- Designing the beginning of a book: The first pages until the start of the actual content are automatically prepared and designed for you in the correct format with the usual content.
- Usual dataAll relevant, usual elements of the first pages are already designed and textually prepared on the basis of your information: Title, subtitle, author, imprint, short description, blurb and author profile.
- Imprint: The imprint already contains all the legally required information for all the different publishing variants: Our or your ISBNs, tredition or your publishing brand.
- TemplatesChoose from many professional templates by genre and style. Click through the selection and see how your book is customized in real time.
- Own templatesCreate your own template designs for the beginning of the book and use them again with a click for your next book project at tredition.
- Add pages: Add as many pages as you want in the beginning of the book if you have more to say.
- All book types the same: The book start is created equally in all book types (hardcover, softcover, e-book and large print edition) and changes are automatically implemented in all book types.
- Certain types of books differentDecide for yourself which elements you want to show only on certain types of books, e.g. the title tag "Großschrift-Ausgabe".
- Move page layoutTitle or acknowledgements first? Change the order of the first pages by drag & drop and decide what is best for you.
- Book Side View: The design of the first pages is much more intuitive due to the real view like in a real book with opened pages.
- Images: Include your own images, such as your author photo, and edit it to your liking.
- Image checkWhen uploading your image, we immediately check whether it is suitable for printing. Do the resolution and the colors fit?
- edit imagesYou no longer need an extra graphics program. Edit your images and add great effects. You can use your image square or round.
- Bleed marginsLines show you where the edges of the book are for each book type. If you move elements too close to the edges, you will get a warning. But you can also turn it off.
- Arrange layersIndividual elements, e.g. text fields, can easily be moved above or below other layers or placed directly at the element in front or behind.
- Object managementEven on the first pages you will quickly accumulate a number of objects such as text fields and images. In the object management you keep the overview and can select objects directly.
- Time Machine: If you don't like your last changes, you can go back in the time machine step by step or in one big leap to the state you still liked.
This feature is also unique in this design. Book typesetting programs are usually extremely complicated and not operable for laymen. We don't know why either. We have made it super simple for you!
- Upload and go: Our text designer will create a ready-set book from your manuscript in all the formats you've chosen for your book types! No witchcraft - maybe a little.
- Upload of all common file formats: You can upload your manuscript to book typesetting as docx, doc, odf, pages, pdf, epub or rtf.
- Lots of templates: Get inspired by professional book typesetting templates. Just click on the templates and your whole book will be typeset in the chosen style of the template.
- Real book viewYou can flip through your book or jump to specific pages. It looks like you are holding it in your hands.
- Table of ContentsSelect whether the Text Designer should create a table of contents. It even recognizes headings if they were not formatted as such.
- Headlines: Define the style of each heading - even up to the 6th level.
- Header: Design it yourself with all common font formatting tools. Single column or double column. Add recurring elements such as the chapter heading.
- FooterLike the header, but possibly with page numbers.
- Margins: Define the distances from the edge in all four directions.
- All book types at onceYour edits are always done the same for all book types except your e-book.
- Large font optimizedDo you know what font size and type are best for people with visual impairments? We have done some research and preset everything for you. The font size is then usually between 15 and 19 points. This changes the book typesetting accordingly. We have already optimized this automatically for you.
- Spell check in the editorIf you notice something in the text that you would like to change, you can edit your manuscript text directly in our online editor. There we also show you the spelling mistakes directly.
Without the tredition text designer
- Your own softwareOf course you can also create your book interior with other programs, e.g. Word or InDesign. You can then upload your documents to us as a PDF.
- Checklists and exams: To make sure that this works right from the start, you will find detailed instructions on what to look out for in the "Prepare file" step.
- Text templatesYou can download text templates into which you can simply copy your text. Choose from many styles and formats. You can find the templates as docx, odt, Indesign and Affinity Publisher files.
tredition Cover Designer
If you don't want to design your cover with your own programs, then try our tredition cover designer. Build a book you can be proud of - without any previous knowledge of graphics!
Wide variety of templates and color palettes
- Templates: Choose a design from nearly 100 templates. You can filter by style (e.g. futuristic, eerie, glamorous) or genre. The designs come exclusively from award-winning cover designers. We update and expand the templates regularly.
- Click through templates: Don't decide based on dummies. Design some elements that are important to you and then click through different templates. Your cover will instantly appear in the new design.
- Start without template: Start on a white cover and gradually add graphic elements and text boxes.
- Save templates: For further book projects or your book series design, you can save any cover design - whether based on a template or started by you on a blank sheet - as a template. This way, your next cover design projects will be totally easy.
- Only here Color palettesIf you like a template, you can view it in a whole range of colour-coordinated colour palettes, each with six different colours. With one click, your book will look completely different.
- Own color palettesBuild your own color palettes manually with six different colors or get a mix of colors from a base color. You can then easily add them to your book series design.
- Create color palette from a photoIn order for your cover to match the color scheme of an uploaded cover motif, you can select the most important colors from your image or an image detail. We create your own color palette from this, which contains the most important colors of your image motif. You can then further customize it according to your wishes.
Without the tredition cover designer
- Your own softwareOf course you can also create your cover with other programs, e.g. Affinity Designer or Adobe InDesign. You can then upload your documents to us as a PDF.
- Checklists and exams: To make sure you get it right the first time, you'll find detailed instructions and checklists for creating print-ready files in the project creation section.
- TemplatesYou can download templates that already have the right dimensions for all the book types in your book project and start directly in your graphics program, e.g. Photoshop. You can also give them to an illustrator. He will then know exactly how to lay out your covers and interior parts.
- Only here Text modulesDon't be surprised if your cover is ready at first sight. We add all the important and typical elements automatically. These are title, subtitle, author, blurb and author profile. Of course, you can still customize everything.
- All book types at onceYou have to imagine that! The softcover is smaller than the hardcover and yet you edit both together. What you change on the softcover will be adjusted in the right size and aspect ratio on the other book types as well. You can work on any book type.
- Only here Edit book types individually: Whether format, material or contents in the inner part and cover. Each book type can be edited for itself. In the case of the large print edition, for example, a note on the cover "large print" fits.
- Barcode: The book trade needs barcodes on the back of the book. We add them directly to the cover with the correct ISBN for each type of book. You slide it where you like.
- LevelsA cover design contains many elements. In order to keep an overview and to be able to click on elements that are hidden by others, the elements are layered on top of each other. Here you can also easily change the alignment (top, bottom, in front, behind) in relation to other objects via drag & drop.
- Images: Integrate your own images, graphics and illustrations. Edit them with professional image effects.
- Image checkWhen uploading your image, we immediately check whether it is suitable for printing. Do the resolution and the colors fit?
- SampleWe have designed hundreds of patterns, gradients, ornaments, structures, etc. ourselves. Use them by drag & drop and change them in color, size, style and much more.
- Image Database: Search for terms that match your book. You will get search results from our own creation or from Picasa. From both, you can immediately drag and drop the images into your cover.
- Guide linesDraw as many guide lines as you like, horizontally or vertically. You can also align them exactly to the ruler.
- Bleed margin: Did you know that softcovers and hardcovers must have a different size bleed margin? You don't have to worry about that. We'll show you for each type of book how exactly you should position graphic elements, in particular, so that they also look their best on the edge of the book.
- Dimensions automaticYou have selected your formats (height, width) for your book types in the "Settings". We automatically create the correct dimensions, e.g. how wide your spine must be depending on the type of paper and number of pages - for each book type. Even if you have selected a different paper type for a hardcover than for a softcover.
- Only here 3-D view: View all book types in a 3D view. Add your own background image and build the perfect promotional image, which you can download for free!
New Material selection
- Large paper selection: Choose from more than twenty different types of paper. Take our recommendation or filter suitable papers for you according to the suitability (e.g. text, photo), the thickness (grammage) and other criteria.
- CO-2 profilesYou can see the CO-2 footprint for each type of paper. You decide for yourself how important these values are to you.
- FSC certificatesSustainability is very important to us! That's why all the types of paper we offer are FSC-certified. This means that they are all bleached without chlorine.
- Many binding styles: Watch out, the list is getting long: softcover, ring binder, staple binding, hardcover, hardcover with dust jacket, (art) leather cover - and soon gatefold!
- Internationally as well: Not every combination of paper and cover type is available in every country where we sell your book internationally. However, you can see immediately with a globe icon whether your material combination is available in every country.
- Number of pages from 4 to 1,400: ultra-short story or epic novel. We can go from very little to very much.
- Test printYou can order a test print of all book types of your book project at any time and also several times. The price will be displayed during the configuration of the book project.
- E-Book Production: We convert your manuscript into the most common non-retailer e-book formats. Currently, these are EPUB and MOBI.
- New Your own e-bookIf you already have an e-book, you are welcome to upload it yourself. We check it once and then distribute it to all e-book stores in our distribution network.
Printing in colour
- Colour pages at a glance: Pages with colored elements are recognized directly and shown to you in an overview. You can accept the selection of pages to be printed in color or deselect them individually, in sections or completely.
- Color pages international: Other countries, other customs! In some countries where your book is produced for international distribution, books are only printed in either full black or full color. Since color printing is more expensive, you decide for yourself in which color scheme you want to print your book internationally.
- 1 to 1,000No matter how many copies you want, you can order any quantity at any time. There are no minimum order quantities and it usually only takes a few days to receive your books.
- Only here Individualised or special editionsWithout much effort you can create and order individualized author copies, e.g. for a certain person with a greeting. You can also make special editions, e.g. with a special material or for a certain season.
- Attractive discountsGet up to 40% off the single copy price if you need a larger number of author copies. 20% is available for as few as 100 copies.
- Staggered publicationYou can offer your book types for sale from different points in time. Classic book publishers start with the hardcover and end with the softcover at some point. You set the dates yourself and can also update them at any time.
- News for the book trade: Have you received an award for your book or an important review (e.g. in a national newspaper) or are you due to appear on a talk show? We update the booksellers' catalogues immediately with the news so that they can inform readers about your book in the best possible way.
- Readings: In the context of readings by our authors, booksellers receive special conditions so that they can present a beautiful reading table.
- Catalog and metadataBooksellers receive your book classified in the appropriate international book classification systems Theme, BIC, BISAC and WGS. We regularly optimize the classification of your books.
- Only here Buying points: To help booksellers tell interested readers more about a book than it says on the cover, we convey your buying points in questions and answers, just as you would have presented your book to a reader.
- In-Book Marketing: Insert an advertisement for other books or new releases of yours for a certain period of time in some or all of the book types of your projects.
- PreviewsYou decide yourself whether your book can be viewed in excerpts on Google Books or Amazon "Look into the Book". We recommend it.
- Only here Digital Press Kit: In a digital press kit designed by us for download, you present yourself and your book to journalists, bloggers and influencers. Always up to date with all the information you release. The press kit contains, among other things, your author vita with FAQ about you, a newsroom, your bibliography, press images of you and your book and reading samples.
- Only here Direct press distribution listJournalists, bloggers, influencers and anyone who is interested in new books can subscribe to our press distribution list. You choose which genres or even very specific topics of our books you want us to inform about.
- Homepage in the tredition ShopMaintain your vita in the tredition Shop with news, photos, exciting FAQs about you and events you are doing. This will make your profile in the tredition shop a real eye-catcher.
- Profiles at Booksellers: Everything you maintain in your author profile at tredition, we also pass on to booksellers - including all the updates you make. Unfortunately, not all retailers adopt this information. Unfortunately, that is out of our hands.
- Social accounts: Link your social accounts in the author profile and use the reach of the tredition shop to direct visitors to your social accounts.
- Multiple profilesYou can create and maintain as many profiles as you like. Publishers can manage all authors.
- Selling price selectableYou set the selling price for each book type (softcover, hardcover, e-book, large print edition) of your project.
- International sales pricesIf you decide for international distribution, you also set the sales prices in e.g. US dollars and British pounds yourself.
- Only here Optimal sales pricesBased on several factors such as genre, competition, price development and much more, you receive recommendations for an optimal sales price for each book type. These are based on the experience of more than 70,000 book projects at tredition and regular market studies. Our suggestions optimise your earnings and make the price attractive for readers.
- Calculate earnings immediatelyIn the earnings calculator you can freely choose your sales price and calculate your earnings per book type and sales channel.
- Price promotions e-books: Set a time period and reduce the price of your e-book. You can do this as often as you like.
- Only here Price promotions for printed booksYou can also reduce the sales price of your printed books for a period of your choice and thus create special purchase incentives.
- Only here Exclusive special editionsOffer special editions, which are e.g. particularly high-quality or have additional contents. You can only offer these for a certain period of time or limit the quantity. Or you can only offer them for sale via the tredition shop to increase your earnings.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)We identify and store keywords that match your book project and, above all, what potential readers are looking for on the Internet in the tredition Shop.
- Regular updating: We automatically check keywords for relevance at least every six months and expand them when new terms might become relevant to your book.
- Current contentsIn various sections, you can find information about yourself and your book projects that appear in the tredition shop. Contribute current information about yourself and your book and ensure that it is up to date, because search engines show current information first.
- RatingsWe ask buyers of your book to rate it in the tredition Shop. Search engines rate books with many reviews significantly more important.
- Press commentaryLink from your author profile to external press reviews and thus show the relevance of your book in the tredition Shop.
- Full text searchesIf you participate in Google Books, your content is also indexed and can be found by search engines.
Only here Book Updates
- Free updateYou can update your book project at any time. We update your print data and inform all booksellers to whom we send book data directly (and not via wholesalers) immediately when you have made an update.
- New edition free of chargeIf you make major changes to your book project, you can always create and publish a new edition free of charge. We will then remove the old edition from the market and replace it with the new one.
- WholesaleListing with all relevant wholesalers worldwide (so-called "bar assortments"), if your book is also manufactured in the countries. In the USA and UK, this is Ingram. In the German-speaking book market, these are Libri (D), Zeitfracht (D), Umbreit (D), Mohr Morawa (A) and the Swiss Buchzentrum (CH). So far, this has worked out for more than 70,000 titles. Theoretically, however, the wholesalers do not have to list every title.
- International distributionAt your request, we also offer international distribution. Then your books are directly available in more than 60 countries.
- Online tradingYour books can be ordered from all major online retailers. These include Amazon, Thalia, Hugendubel, Osiander and more than 2,000 online shops of smaller booksellers.
- tredition ShopYour book is immediately available in our tredition shop. You receive higher earnings when your books are sold directly from us.
- Retail: Any bookseller can order your books. Either with a bar assortment or directly with us.
- E-booksWhen you publish an e-book with us, it is available from all major e-book retailers. Readers can find it on Amazon Kindle, Tolino, Google Books, Apple iBooks, Kobo and Libreka, among others.
- Flat rate and lendingYou can decide whether you want to participate with your e-book. These are, among others, Amazon Kindle Unlimited, Skoobe or Onleihe.
- Attractive conditionsBooksellers receive very attractive purchasing conditions from us. Booksellers buy books on which they also earn something - not out of lust and love for literature.
- Full right of returnBooksellers can return books to us at any time for a full refund. This way they don't have the risk of ordering your books and being stuck with them in the worst case. We bear the costs and the risk!
- View copy editingBooksellers order copies via the usual channels in the book market. We forward these to you so that you can convince with a personal message.
- Directory of books in print: Your books are all listed in the Directory of Available Books in Europe with "Gold Status".
- New Exclusively in the tredition ShopDecide whether you want to offer your book for a freely selectable period of time or only for sale in the tredition Shop. You will then receive the generally higher earnings for sales in the tredition Shop for each copy sold during this period.
ISBN and publisher's mark
- ISBN: You will receive an ISBN (International Standard Book Number) for all book types (softcover, hardcover, e-book, large-print edition) of your project. With these ISBNs, your books can be ordered in stores worldwide.
- Your own ISBN: You can also use your own ISBNs if you are a publisher or even if you are doing a book project but prefer to use your own ISBNs.
- Only here Own publishing brand without a publisher: Publish your books with your own publishing brand at tredition without founding a publishing house. Your book will be listed under this publisher's name in the book catalogues and online shops.
- Own book seriesPublish your books in your own book series. The name of your book series will be displayed with your book in book catalogues and online shops. Some even show a series profile (publisher, focus), which you can also maintain with us.
- Publishers: All services are also available to publishers - even with multiple publishing brands.
- National Library: No matter whether our ISBN or yours, we fulfil the obligation of delivery to the German National Library for you.
What else is in it for you?
Soon you will be able to commission your editing, proofreading or individual cover design from us (again). This will only be completely new and different and much better.
Reports and financial matters
- Sales: You can see on a daily basis how often and where (trade or our shop) your books were bought.
- Statistics: Use the detailed charts and statistics, which you can also download, to better analyse your successes, e.g. which marketing activity went particularly well.
- Merit: We pay your earnings at the beginning of each month. You decide whether to pay into a bank or Paypal account.
- Only here Merit to stakeholders: You can give co-authors, illustrators or editors or anyone else a share of your earnings. We pay their share directly to them.
- Payments to authors for publishersPublishers can have the royalties paid directly by us to their authors.
- Artists' Social Security Fund: We pay all required contributions to the Künstlersozialkasse in Germany.
- SupportUse our support area for all your publishing or book printing questions. You'll find FAQs, a manual, videos, checklists and much more.
- Support: At each step in the project editor, a help area is available to answer typical questions of that step.
- TipsFor most steps in the project editor, you will receive tips from experienced experts from the tredition team.
- Contact: Our competent team is at your disposal here. We try to answer as soon as possible.
Our tools perform various checks on your book project and show you the results. This gives you the confidence to print and/or publish a solid book. You see:
- Spelling and punctuationWe check how high the error density is in your book. You can (almost) never find all the errors.
- Title: Query book directories and bookstore catalogs to see if there are similar titles.
- Color pages: We detect which pages in your document contain colored elements and show you those pages. You decide which of them should be printed in color.
- Print: Checking of the cover and inner part with regard to printability, colour space and resolution
- Shop PreviewPreview the presentation of your book in the tredition shop as desktop and tablet/smartphone.
- What we do not doWe're not analyzing your book. We don't change anything. We are not responsible for your content!
- Delete book project at treditionYou can delete books at any time with 14 days' notice. We will then delete your book project from the tredition shop.
- Book project in the book market "deleteWe stop the production of your printed book types. We inform all trade partners we informed about your book project at the time of publication that your book is "no longer available" - also for e-books. Unfortunately, we cannot retrieve copies already delivered to book wholesalers or retailers. The copies have already been sold to the retailers. Otherwise, that would be like us taking the books back from readers as well. Dealers can still sell these books without a time limit. In addition, we cannot influence the fact that your book is sold second-hand and offered on platforms. So your book project will continue to be listed in dealers' directories. This includes the title data incl. excerpts of the inner part in the form of reading samples (e.g. "Blick ins Buch"). We cannot have this data deleted. The title data and digital editions will also continue to remain in the directories of libraries.
- The Internet does not forget: Not even your book project. We don't delete posts about your book project that are displayed by search engines. We also do not delete postings on social media. Furthermore, we are not obliged to delete entries on websites that we do not operate ourselves.
- Delete accountWe're not holding you. If you want to delete your account, you do it with one click. We will then pay all outstanding earnings with the next statement. 14 days and you are rid of us.
New Partner Program
This is how it works
- Recommendation: You promote tredition with various advertising measures. A very simple one is, for example, a permanent link in email signatures.
- Your commissionWhen authors you refer to tredition publish a book, you share in the sales success of the book project. You receive 2.5% of the sales price on all sold copies of all book types, i.e. softcover, hardcover, e-book and large print edition.
- Links: Select a page on tredition.com that you would like to link to and receive the appropriate affiliate tracking link.
- BannerChoose the right banner from various campaigns and integrate it into your website.